Services We Offer
James McConvill & Associates is committed to employing down-to-earth lawyers that geniunely want to help you, and who have a love for the law and a passion for the Phillip Island and Gippsland region.
James McConvill & Associates advises on all aspects of family law, and our
lawyers have an immense amount of experience in family law court
proceedings and in resolving disputes outside of court. We regularly assist
We also advise on these other areas of
- Preparing and interpreting Parenting
- Preparing and finalising consent orders dealing with parenting and/or
- Preparation and review and finalising Binding Financial Agreements (at
any stage of a relationship) and Child Support Agreements;
- Location and recovery order proceedings;
- Roundtable mediation;
- Legal questions relating to de facto and same-sex relationships;
- Divorce Applications;
- Representation for enforcement issues/ family law court order
contravention proceedings ;
- Child passport issues, Airport Watch List and Hague Convention matters
(concerning when a child is taken overseas);
- Applying for/ Responding to Family Violence Intervention Orders in Court.
Facing a criminal charge can be a stressful and daunting prospect. James McConvill & Associates has the expertise, experience and professional resources to reach out and help you in your time of need. We can provide expert advice and representation in Magistrates' Court and Children's Court matters, along with Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal ("VOCAT") applications. We regularly appear on behalf of clients in the Melbourne, Moorabbin, Dandenong, Korumburra, Wonthaggi and Morwell/Latrobe Valley Magistrates' Court, and also appear in County Court matters.
We understand the sensitivity of matters relating to criminal charges and always exercise discretion and complete confidentiality.
Wills and Probate Law
James McConvill & Associates can help you take steps to ensure your testamentary wishes are implemented and honoured. We can provide advice to trustees, executors and beneficiaries on both rights and obligations and can provide direction where the outcome of a will is not as desired. We have particular expertise in drafting wills and powers of attorney, and assisting with probate applications to the Supreme Court of Victoria's probate office. We also regularly provide advice in relation to small estates.
We advise small and medium-sized businesses on general commercial law and
corporate law matters. We have particular expertise in drafting and
advising on trade contracts, shareholder agreements, distribution
agreements, sale and purchase agreements, company constitutions and company
resolutions. We also advise on company compliance requirements, and have
experience in liaising with the Australian Securities and Investments
Commission (ASIC) and other regulators on behalf of our business clients.
We also assist with debt recovery matters, and advise our clients on trade
practices, sale of goods requirements, competition law issues. We have a
network of contacts that can assist with tax law matters
Our litigation team assists across a range of contentious matters, from
contesting a will to advising on substantial disputes over business
contracts. We act for both individuals and organisations, and have
represented clients in a number of different courts and jurisdictions. Our
litigation lawyers apply a tough but fair and considered approach to all
contentious matters, and always with the best interests of the client in
We endeavour to resolve disputes through negotiation, mediation and other
methods of alternative dispute resolution, and consider litigation before
the courts to be the last resort.
We run a broad Employment Law practice, in association with an expert team consulting to us, which covers advising on the following:
- Agreements (Employment Agreements, Executive Agreements, Enterprise Agreements (Union and Non-Union): drafting, reviews, interpretation, negotiation, training, enforcement, certification.
- Awards: compliance, interpretation, Fair Work Ombudsman enforcement matters.
- Terminations: procedure, redundancies, performance management, representation in unfair dismissals.
- Bullying: advice, investigations, training, representation.
- Adverse Action: advice and representation.
- Restraints: confidentiality, intellectual property, privacy, advice, drafting,enforcement.
- Transfer of Business: sale of business, insolvency, restructuring, due diligence.
- Contractors: labour hire, employee/contractor distinction, Odco arrangements, agreements.
- Policies: drafting, interpretation, enforcement, staff training.
- Industrial Relations – enterprise bargaining, union issues, industrial action, strategic advice, representation.
- Discrimination – bullying, representation, policy advice, investigations, staff training.
- Representation (all courts, tribunals and jurisdictions) – unfair dismissals, adverse action, bullying, discrimination, contract enforcement, industrial relations.